NFStyles

Thursday 17 July 2014

Vegetable - DrumSticks

Drum sticks

Health Benefits
Nutrition Facts
Beauty tips
Naming Convention
Varieties
Recipes
Allergies
Other tips
About the Vegetable : Moringa is a drought tolerant, medium-sized, evergreen tree that prefers warm, frost-free climates to flourish. DrumStick tree is a fast-growing, deciduous tree.The bark has a whitish-grey colour and is surrounded by thick cork. Young shoots have purplish or greenish-white, hairy bark. Taller plants bear cream-white, small size flowers in clusters throughout the season, which subsequently develop into long slender dark-green, three-sided, edible seedpods with tapering ends.The tree has an open crown of drooping, fragile branches and the leaves build up a feathery foliage of tripinnate leaves.

Scientific / Binomial name : Moringa oleifera

Popularly Known as :Munagakaya, Munakkaya, Hagilekayi, Moringa oleifera , horseradish, Moringa

Usage :

  • Famous for making sambars in southern Places of India.
  • Mostly in India, Andhra Pradesh,Karnataka,Tamil nadu People will use for sambar recipes and in Philippines, Thailand,Taiwan for making Drumstick soups.


1 comment:

  1. I will die if I eat munakkaya curry. I have allergy of munakkaya .Now I am 36, when i was 5 year old, My mom found out that I get allergy if i eat munakkaya because everytime I used to passed out and used to vomit the food that i ate and i used to get blindness for a minute and it happens after 10 minutes of my lunch or dinner that added with munakkaya. we use this vegetable very frequently like almost everyday in every south indian house. we have a plant at home and It was planted by my great grand mother. I got this allergy from my maternal uncle(my moms brother), he has the same allergy . May be i got from him. I have a son but i did not feed him yet because i don't want to try on him

    ReplyDelete